|JobClient - Get off your bike!|
14 April 2004: It's been a while...
I just spent a year back at uni getting a masters degree. It took me off the job market, and it used up all my coding juice for the duration.
Now, when I finally get back to look at the project, the pages I was using as spider fodder have changed their layout and the code no longer works. It's fixable.
I also want to make some design improvements. Specifically, I want to de-couple the storage from the browser and the sorter, and I want to use MySQL as the primary store, so the bot drops jobs into the database and the browser reads from the DB.
I also want to make
it easier to write new bot modules so users can
plug in spiders for the sites that suit them.
|Tedious Legal Stuff||
This package is copyright
2002 and is distributed under the Perl Artistic Licence,
a copy of which is included in this
distribution. Basically, you can't sell this, but
you're welcome to give it away.
|What It Does||
Jobclient is a screen scraping application that finds jobs matching your
skillset from a number of web sites, stores the details in a MySQL database
and gives you a GUI to sort, browse and apply for those jobs.
At the Current time the software is broken due to operational changes at the
target sites. I expect to have something useful up in a week or so.
|What you need.||Perl 5.6 or 5.8 to start with. JobClient
is currently being developed under RedHat Linux 7.2. I don't expect many problems
on other unices.
Windows is a little more problematic. The project started life on Win95 with ActiveState perl and I think most of the traps here have already been dealt with, but it has been a while since I tried to use it on that platfrom. Best of Luck to you.
||Have a look
on the project page over on sourceforge.
The other script in the suite is save_csvs.pl. This copies .csv files into the csvs directory and munges the name to incorporate a timestamp. You may want to periodically clear this directory if you use this feature. It can get big quite fast.
make use of a number of modules, and I've pretty much lost track of which
ones come with the standard distribution. This is what you'll need:
Look on CPAN or run
|The Template||The template
file is defined in the configuration file. Whatever is in this file gets used
as the basis for any email application you send. The message gets customised
in two ways:
Firstly, each header line and the main message as a whole gets expanded with eval. This means that the interpreter will attempt to expand any variables in the template. (Exception - '@' chars in the headers get escaped since they do tend to crop up in email addresses.)
Specifically, a hash named %values is intended for use in expansion. The fields it currently understands are:
level of customisation is the email window where you have a chance to modify
the expanded message prior to transmission
the way the expansion mechanism is coded (and I'm open to suggestions here)
there is a security risk if a hostile party can edit your template file.
Since the eval "" construct will expand any stringifiable expression, any
strings of the form
will result in
|Odds and Ends
a couple of weird looking bits in the code. One if the half assed sendmail
reimplementation in MailWin.pm, the other is the pseudo pipe IPC for the monitor.
Both of them have their origins in the windows implementation (pipes don't
work properly, fork is emulated, and sendmail didn't exist).
The first cut of this package contained a lot of hardcode. To get this ready for SourceForge I've made some hasty last minute hacks, and managed to get a lot of them. This gives us two problems: hasty last minute hacks and unexpected hardcodes. Feel free to advise me if I've missed anything major. I'll have a more polished version ready in a week or two.
||Thank you for your interest. It's been a blast, but
I have to go now.
Nick Fortune, Sep 13, 2002.